If you like big box stores, I completely understand the sentiment. Buying in bulk and getting a month of grocery shopping knocked out in one go saves time and money – both of which are always worth saving.
I ignore the naysayers who over exaggerate what it means to buy in bulk. I have memberships at both Costco and Sam’s Club and use them both equally – especially now that both are around the corner from me at my pied-a-terre in Austin.
What I like about Sam’s Club:
- They have self-checkout
- You can scan your items as you go (with the, what else, Scan & Go app) and check out instantly
- Receipts are stored digitally online
- Club pickup – Costco does NOT offer this
- Digital membership card on your phone and in Apple Wallet
- Cheaper prices on tires
- They accept every payment method, not just Visa
- You can easily reorder your most common items
- Their app is way better
But they don’t offer free shipping on most items online like Costco does. And their food court offerings tend to be greasy, calorie-laden fiascos whereas Costco seems a *little* healthier. And in general, I find Costco stores to be cleaner and better laid-out. Sam’s Club locations can be hit-or-miss, whereas I feel like Costco has more consistency between the stores.
Also, there are more ways to save at Sam’s Club. A lot more ways. And that might seal the deal for some peeps, especially if both are nearby.
Let’s look at how to save money EVERY time you set foot (or web browser) in Sam’s Club.