When I received my Barclaycard Arrival approval email today, something in the wording caught my attention. I’d been approved for a “World” MasterCard.
Then I flashed back to when I received my new Ink Plus card in the mail. I remembered flipping that beautiful baby over and seeing this:
Google searches didn’t really yield anything concrete. I did, however, end up on the MasterCard page and they lay out the benefits really nicely. Here’s what I’ve surmised:
World benefits are pretty limited. It’s like they’re competing with Visa Signature. I’m literally going to copy & paste:
- Enjoy exclusive, personal assistance with dinner reservations, event tickets, locating hard-to-find items, buying and delivering gifts, and coordinating business related arrangements. Knowledgeable experts can assist with whatever you need, whenever you need it – 24 x 7 x 365. This takes “Concierge Service” to the next level with robust, personalized features that will save you time and simplify your day.
- Should you find a lower price for a new item using your eligible MasterCard card, you may be reimbursed for the price difference. For more information about the coverage you may be eligible to receive, call 1-800-MC-ASSIST (800-622-7747). To file a claim on-line, go to www.mycardbenefits.com.
MASTERCARD GLOBAL SERVICE
- Get emergency assistance virtually anytime, anywhere and in any language. MasterCard Global Service helps you with reporting a Lost or Stolen Card, obtaining an Emergency Card Replacement or Cash Advance, finding an ATM location, and answering questions on your account.
MASTERCARD AIRPORT CONCIERGE™
- Arrange for a personal, dedicated Meet and Greet agent to escort you through the airport on departure, arrival or any connecting flights, 24/7/365 at over 450 destinations worldwide.
WORLD HOTELS & RESORTS PROGRAM
- Make your next travel experience truly priceless. Access our portfolio of some of the finest hotels and resorts the world has to offer – all presenting you with an exceptional lodging experience. Enjoy complimentary room upgrades, early check-in and late check-out privileges, exclusive World MasterCard amenities, and more.
For comparison, here are the Visa Signature benefits:
- Cardholder Inquiry Service
- Emergency Card Replacement and Emergency Cash Disbursement
- Lost/Stolen Card Reporting
- No Pre-Set Spending Limit
- Purchase Security
- Warranty Manager Service
- Year-End Summary Statements
- Zero Liability
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
- Lost Luggage Reimbursement
- Roadside Dispatch
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Travel and Emergency Assistance Services
Now on to the good stuff. I was sort of shocked (in a good way) when I saw the full list of World Elite benefits. They blow both World and Visa Signature out da water!
It includes all the benefits listed for “World” above + a TON more and is obviously the winner.
The one that immediately caught my attention was Priceless New York.
It grants access to lots of cool things going on in town like concert VIP packages, culinary experiences, shopping deals, and discounts on services.
I signed up for the email list and will be sure to report if I ever end up using it. Cool idea! I’d love to use it, being based in NYC and all.
But then, I started digging a little deeper and found a lot of other info. What caught my attention the most was the “Air” section of the Travel Benefits page, particularly the offerings on a diverse range of carriers like Swiss, Austrian, Etihad, Lufthansa, LAN, and Virgin Atlantic.
Some of the “upgrades” specifically say you need to’ve purchased a full-fare ticket, which can oftentimes be as much, or more than, business class to begin with. But LAN’s, for example, just says you can upgrade “from an eligible coach ticket.” What’s an eligible coach ticket, LAN? I’m assuming they mean a full-fare ticket, but I would definitely be interested in learning more.
Other benefits from a World Elite card include:
- $1000 off a first class ticket on Etihad
- 50% off a biz class companion ticket on Etihad
- 20%-30% off biz class tickets on LAN
- “Special savings” on Virgin Atlantic
- Upgrades on these carriers: Aer Lingus, Austrian, Etihad, LAN, Lufhansa, SAS, and Swiss
They also have quite an extensive list of tours, cruises, rental cars, private offers, and hotels. I arbitrarily picked New Orleans from the hotel list and turned up a few good options:
All the options include upgrade, late check-out, and daily breakfast for two. Also, a “guaranteed best rate”. Maybe I’ll test their pricing for an upcoming trip…
All-in-all, I was pretty blown away to find out my new Ink Plus gave me all these benefits. I’ve never read about these totally legit, published benefits on any other blog before – sorry if this is old news!
I probably won’t be booking a private jet or chauffeured car any time soon, but for rental cars, air tickets, and hotels, this could turn out to be a real hidden gem.