Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
I’ve been looking to get a VPN (Virtual Private Network) for a while now. While there are pros and cons to using a VPN, the good stuff far outweighs the bad.
Having a VPN:
- Lets you steam content from anywhere (no geoblocks!)
- Gives you a new IP address
- Protects you when using unsecured public wifi (like in airports)
- Secures VOIP phone calls
- Prevents your ISP from tracking BitTorrent and other torrent sites
- Helps you get around bandwidth throttling tied to your IP address
I primarily use a VPN to stream content from other countries (like when Spotify or YouTube says “this isn’t available in your country” – problem solved), and torrenting. Though when I’m connected to a VPN, I have to go through the whole security routine with bank logins (they want to send a text or email to confirm it’s me – which is a PITA).
That said, I found a deal to get 12 months of NordVPN service for $24 – and so far, I really like it! Particularly because they have apps for every device. So I can secure the traffic on my iPhone. Because I already use Face ID for most apps, the security is actually much easier for mobile.
I’ll show you how to stack the deal to pay $24 for a year of service.
They also have a 30-day money back guarantee, and make it super easy to cancel auto-payments.
NordVPN coupon + TopCashback = $2 a month for a year of VPN service
There are lots of VPNs out there, and many opinions on which is the best. I chose NordVPN because they’re based in Panama, which doesn’t have mandatory data retention laws – so they are able to keep a strict no logs policy. You definitely want a VPN that is NOT based in the US.
They also have:
- 5,000+ servers in 60+ locations
- Excellent speeds with little loss
- Great encryption
Plus, when you sign-up, you can add up to 6 devices to your account. I really like having it on my iPhone.
It makes me feel better about using public networks in coffee shops, hotels, airports, etc. I consume a lot of content – and do a lot of banking – on my phone, so it’s great to have a VPN app that I can switch on and off.
The service usually costs $84 for a year subscription. But I got it down to just $24 AKA $2 a month.
- Navigate to TopCashback – you can set up an account or login, then search for “NordVPN“
- Click through where it says “Get Cashback Now” (like in the image above)
- On the NordVPN website, click “Get It Now“
- Where it says “Got Coupon?” enter “EXTRA1YOFF“
- Complete your purchase – the total should be $60
After you enter the NordVPN coupon, your total will look like this:
Then, you’ll get $36 back (60%) from TopCashback:
That brings the price down to $24 for the year ($60 – $36). Pretty good deal for 12 months of VPN service on 6 devices.
After you get the deal, you can go into your account and make sure it doesn’t auto-renew at a higher price.
Click the 3 dots next to “Change Plan” and select “Cancel automatic payments.”
Because there will likely be another deal in the future – and the normal price is much higher.
Download the apps
NordVPN has an app for pretty much any device:
Once you get the ones you need, you can easily toggle the VPN on and off. There’s a quick connect feature that assigns you the best VPN. Or you can choose your own from the list of server locations.
I’ve been using quick connect and it’s been working just fine. Easy to turn on and off with one tap.
I’ve been using NordVPN for a couple weeks now, and thought I’d share how I stacked deals to get a year of service for $24. There are lots of VPNS out there, so if you hate it, you can cancel within 30 days and get your money back.
The gist is to click through TopCashback to get 60% cashback, and apply a NordVPN coupon found there (“EXTRA1YOFF“) to pay $60 for 12 months – then get $36 cashback. The good thing about TopCashback is there’s NO minimum to withdraw, and you can transfer the cash directly to your bank account. And my purchase showed up with an hour or two.
Hope some of y’all find this useful!
Do you have a fave VPN? What do you mostly use it for?* If you liked this post, consider signing up to receive free blog posts in an RSS reader and you’ll never miss an update! And thanks for using my links to apply for new card offers!
Out and Out has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Out and Out and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
- Chase Ink Business Preferred - Earn 80,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points and 3X bonus points for travel, internet, cable, and phone service
- Capital One Venture Rewards - Earn 100,000 bonus miles and 2X miles on every purchase with no bonus categories to think about
- Amex Blue Business Plus - Earn 10,000 Amex Membership Rewards points and 2X bonus points on up to $50,000 in spending per year with NO annual fee
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.