Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
I’ve had my Aspiration checking account since I first wrote about it waaaay back in 2015. When it launched, there was no app and funky web access. But they were committed to sustainable business practices, which I really liked. Since then, they’ve created an app and a beautiful website. And widely expanded their care for our wonderful planet.
Then and now, this is among the best checking accounts if you travel – and care about – the Earth. ✈️🌎
You can open an account with only $10. And there are no fees at all to have or use it – including for up to 5 ATM withdrawals per month anywhere in the world. If you pay any fees to withdraw your money, you’ll be reimbursed at the end of each cycle.
They also offer cell phone insurance up to $600 when you pay your phone bill with the debit card, up to 1% APY when you direct deposit $1,000+ per month into Aspiration savings, and you’re FDIC-insured on balances up to $2M. Plus, none of their profits are spent on oil drilling, pipelines, or fossil fuel projects. Instead, they donate 10% of all earnings to charities.
If you’ve been looking for an account to use when you travel abroad, this one is perfect. Plus, you get $25 free in your account when you sign-up for an account.
Aspiration checking account basics
I write about the Aspiration checking account from time to time. Inevitably, someone will point out Schwab and Fidelity have cash management accounts that offer free unlimited ATM withdrawals worldwide. I have also written an article comparing them.
I will also go ahead and say, yes, there’s a 1% foreign transaction fee when you use the Aspiration debit card abroad (Fidelity has this too, Schwab doesn’t but has a hard pull to open the account). The fee is from Mastercard, and has nothing to do with the ATM fee. So while you’ll get the ATM fee reimbursed, you’ll pay $1 per $100 you withdraw.
When I go overseas, I usually pull out the equivalent of $200 USD, and am fine paying $2 because I use no forex fee credit cards for everything else. Note you will get ATM fees reimbursed – up to 5 per month from anywhere in the world (including the cash only bar on the corner in your hometown!).
What sets Aspiration apart is everything else.
They’re committed to giving back to communities, rewarding eco-friendly businesses, and never giving money to fossil fuel projects or lobbying. And that’s really cool. Like, really cool.
Over the years, I’ve earned $425 through referrals that I’ve donated back to human and women’s rights campaigns. I also put some cash into the Redwood Fund, which invests in companies with sustainable environmental practices. And I’ve loved supporting them in the process.
Who is Aspiration checking account for?
Aspiration is an online-only bank. So the only ways to get cash into the account are:
- Deposit checks with your phone
- Direct deposit
- External transfer from another account
And while there are savings accounts with better APYs and many similar checking accounts, this is a good choice for peeps who want to:
- Make free ATM withdrawals at home or abroad
- Have linked checking/savings that earns interest and zero fees / minimums and transfer funds instantly between them
- Support sustainable businesses
- Keep a backup / extra account for savings goals or just to have around for free (there are no inactivity fees)
- Easily bank online or through an app
Other neat features
The best feature is the ability to turn international spending on by switching a button.
Ready to travel? Flip it on. Back home? Turn it off. That way you’ll avoid locked cards, frustrating international calls outside an ATM, and no hassle if you forgot to notify your bank before a trip.
They also offer:
- Cell phone insurance when you pay your bill with the card – up to $600 (I already have this with credit cards, but super helpful if you don’t have it already!)
- Cashback for spending at a list of sustainable businesses (I use credit cards for everything, so…)
- 1% APY if you direct deposit $1,000+ per month, otherwise 0% (I can’t commit to doing that, would rather have an account without requirements)
- Impact score for businesses – a proprietary metric for how planet-friendly they are
Plus, the account comes with a savings account pre-linked to it. So while this can be a fully-fledged checking and savings account for lots of folks, I’m content to just get free ATM withdrawals, the occasional chance to give to charity, and knowing I’m supporting a company with admiral goals and visions. ✔️
There’s really not a downside to opening an Aspiration checking account. It’s totally free to have and keep, there’s no hard pull, and you can open it with $10. Plus, you’ll get $25 free when you open an account. Always nice to have an extra option to withdraw cash for free.
I’ve personally had my account since 2015 and have no reason to ever close it and enough good reasons to keep it around. While I wish ATM fee reimbursements were unlimited, 5 per month should be enough for most. And if the savings 1% APY came free and clear, I’d probably use it more. But maybe they’ll get there one day.
For now, I’m content with Aspiration, love their company mission, and highly recommend them to everyone who loves the Earth and traveling far and wide to see more of it.
Do you have an Aspiration checking account? How’s the service been for you – and what’s your favorite feature?* If you liked this post, consider signing up to receive free blog posts in an RSS reader and you’ll never miss an update! And thanks for using my links to apply for new card offers!
Out and Out has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Out and Out and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
- Chase Ink Business Preferred - Earn 80,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points and 3X bonus points for travel, internet, cable, and phone service
- Capital One Venture Rewards - Earn 100,000 bonus miles and 2X miles on every purchase with no bonus categories to think about
- Amex Blue Business Plus - Earn 10,000 Amex Membership Rewards points and 2X bonus points on up to $50,000 in spending per year with NO annual fee
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.