This site is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CreditCards.com. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. What is written in the article is the editor's opinion.
So I got in on the awesome fares to South America during American’s great fares that emerged around Valentine’s Day. I’m going to Easter Island, Chile in May. So excited. Round-trip in business/first class was a touch over $1,000. Check out this sweet itinerary:
So now I’m thinking of doing a status challenge on American Airlines.
You only need 10K points to get Platinum during a challenge, but there are reports that 20K will get you Executive Platinum.
Points are calculated as miles flown * fare class.
So 15,088 * 1.5 = 22,632.
Here’s the info I found:
Here are the LAN earning rates, by class, on American:
And the miles calculations:
I’ll also get 25K+ redeemable miles for another free domestic R/T at some point in the future based on the fare classes.
I’ve read that an Exec Plat status match is $250 – well worth it for the unlimited domestic upgrades and the 8 system-wide upgrades on ANY fare class. I’ll also earn 2 500-mile upgrade certificates on this trip (one for each 10K points earned), too.
So when I saw the fare and trip for the first time, I thought:
• EASTER ISLAND
• Exec Plat Status
• Eight system-wide upgrades
• Two upgrade certs
• Free domestic R/T
• and all in biz and first class
Can’t beat that with a stick.
I think there are still goes good fares to Buenos Aires and Santiago. You can play around on the Matrix and see what comes up.
matrix.itasoftware.com –> such a good tool.
American’s giving Delta a run for their money (literally) with this one! Excited to experience their premium products. And if all goes according to plan, I may switch the bulk of my flying over to American. At least until the ahem, MERGER goes through.
Thoughts, anyone? Are my calculations correct?
BEST Current Credit Card Deals
- Amex Business Platinum Card - 100,000 Amex Membership Rewards points! - If you spend a lot, you can end up with 125,000 points after meeting the spending requirements.
- Chase Ink Cash - $500 CASH! (50,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points) - Useful 5X for phones and office supplies and NO annual fee! COMPARE HERE.
- Blue Business Plus Amex - 10,000 Amex Membership Rewards points - The BEST card for 2X on everyday spending.
- Discover it® Cashback Match™ Card - $50 after 1st purchase within 3 months of account opening - Earn $600 cashback the 1st year.