This site is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CardRatings.com. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. What is written in the article is the editor's opinion.
- My Last Chase Card: Just Applied for Chase Freedom Unlimited
- Loving Citi More Than Ever – Time to Cancel Other Cards?
Well, I got the letter today that I was straight-up denied for the new Chase Freedom Unlimited card (which is now open for online applications).
It was to be my last Chase card.
I kept trying to call the automated line for info (888-338-2586), but even now it still says to look for a letter in the mail. I presume this one:
“Too many credit cards opened in the last 2 years.”
Wowwww. It’s interesting that’s listed as the only reason.
It seems this rule will now cover ALL Chase cards, including small business and co-branded cards.
DIAF – Die in a fire
Definition: To be in a fire, and die within it.Usage: I hate you, DIAF.
Why I applied for Chase Freedom Unlimited
- Link: Apply for Card Offers
I heard that other peeps had luck getting this card even with the 5/24 rule considered.
So, I threw my hat in, hoping for the best.
I thought I had a decent shot because:
- I’ve been banking with Chase for the past 10 years
- I’ve had a Chase credit card for 14 years
- I’ve never missed a payment
- My credit score is well over 700
- The Chase Freedom cards usually have more lenient approvals
But, no dice.
I’ll have to run the numbers, but I can probably product change to the Chase Freedom Unlimited if I really wanted to. I thought the card would be useful for ongoing benefits because it earns a flat 1.5 Chase Ultimate Rewards points per $1 spent, with no cap – or crap.
But I’ll have to see if I get more “mileage” from the Chase Freedom, or if I’d be better off with the “Unlimited” version.
I haven’t been flat-out denied for a credit card in years. Gotta say, I’m pretty disappointed.
Who knows when, or if, I’ll get another Chase card again.
Wonder what their co-brand partners will say about all this.
Oh well, at least there are other good offers out there from AMEX and Citi… for now.
Earning points and miles is getting more difficult by the day!
A nice send-off from Chase though, with this “FU” card. You too, Chase!
BEST Current Credit Card Deals
- Chase Ink Business Preferred - Earn 80,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points and 3X bonus points for travel, internet, cable, and phone service
- Chase Sapphire Preferred - Earn 50,000 Chase points with the BEST card for beginners
- Chase Ink Business Cash - Earn 50,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points and 5X bonus points for office supplies, internet, cable, and phone service with NO annual fee
Support me by opening one of my favorite credit cards for award travel!