This site is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CardRatings.com. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. What is written in the article is the editor's opinion.
This is mostly for my own benefit, just because I want to keep track of everything that is happening with American during their merger with US Airways.
I will continue to update this post (though hopefully not frequently…).
Note: I do not really care about the US Airways side of things, only how they affect American.
On April 8, 2014 (with no advance notice):
- American has eliminated distance-based Oneworld Explorer awards
- American has eliminated stopovers at the North American “gateway” city on AAdvantage awards
- American has created multiple tiers of AAdvantage standard award levels
- AAdvantage Gold members and Dividend Miles Platinum and Gold members will receive one fewer free checked bag. American Executive Platinums still get 3 free checked bags and Platinums get two. Golds now get only one
- Flights to and from South America won’t have second bag charges
- Full fare tickets and AAnytime awards do not get free checked bags
- Phone ticketing fee increased to $35 from $25
(Hopefully not) To be continued…
BEST Current Credit Card Deals
- Chase Ink Business Preferred - Earn 80,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points and 3X bonus points for travel, internet, cable, and phone service
- Chase Sapphire Preferred - Earn 50,000 Chase points with the BEST card for beginners
- Chase Ink Business Cash - Earn 50,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points and 5X bonus points for office supplies, internet, cable, and phone service with NO annual fee
Support me by opening one of my favorite credit cards for award travel!