Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
This is mostly for my own benefit, just because I want to keep track of everything that is happening with American during their merger with US Airways.
I will continue to update this post (though hopefully not frequently…).
Note: I do not really care about the US Airways side of things, only how they affect American.
On April 8, 2014 (with no advance notice):
- American has eliminated distance-based Oneworld Explorer awards
- American has eliminated stopovers at the North American “gateway” city on AAdvantage awards
- American has created multiple tiers of AAdvantage standard award levels
- AAdvantage Gold members and Dividend Miles Platinum and Gold members will receive one fewer free checked bag. American Executive Platinums still get 3 free checked bags and Platinums get two. Golds now get only one
- Flights to and from South America won’t have second bag charges
- Full fare tickets and AAnytime awards do not get free checked bags
- Phone ticketing fee increased to $35 from $25
(Hopefully not) To be continued…* If you liked this post, consider signing up to receive free blog posts in an RSS reader and you’ll never miss an update! And thanks for using my links to apply for new card offers!
Out and Out has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Out and Out and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
- Chase Ink Business Preferred - Earn 80,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points and 3X bonus points for travel, internet, cable, and phone service
- Chase Sapphire Preferred - Earn 60,000 Chase points with the BEST card for beginners
- Amex Blue Business Plus - Earn 10,000 Amex Membership Rewards points and 2X bonus points on up to $50,000 in spending per year with NO annual fee