Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
Had a bit of a scare yesterday. I went to check in for my Airberlin flight TXL-HEL (that was to connect to Finnair HEL-JFK) to end my Eurotrip 2014.
I booked the one way award flight on aa.com and up until I went to check in the day before the flights, it showed up in the “My Trips” section of aa.com.
Trouble in Euroland
When I logged in, it said “No upcoming trips” so I typed in the confirmation number and it found the reso after a few heart palpitations, thank gods. But the flights were wrong.
Instead of Airberlin TXL-HEL and Finnair HEL-JFK, I just saw only an Airberlin flight TXL-JFK. NOOOOO!!!
I pulled up the email from when I booked and made sure I had a ticket number. I did.
Then I typed in the confirmation code into airberlin.com. It errored out a few times. I Googled “Airberlin check in” and no less than four different check in pages came up. One of them found the flights AA was talking about, and I was able to assign myself a seat and got a boarding pass with a different ticket number (!). The confirmation code was also different on airberlin.com – which is normal – but I’d just never seen it before.
A few things:
- I really wanted to take that Finnair flight and try out their business class product for myself, which I heard was good
- I really did NOT want to take Airberlin all the way home
- This was the second time this trip I had an unannounced product change
- American did not notify me via text, email, phone call, or otherwise. I had to untangle all this 24 hours before when I went to check in for the flight
- I arrived at the airport not knowing if I really had a ticket or not. I trust Airberlin about as much as I trust Air France or Alitalia (which is not at all)
Overall, just very very uncool. I redeemed my hard-earned miles for a specific product and for a specific flight. To have it taken away at the last minute with no notice is not something I want to get used to from airlines, and especially American. I really wanted that Finnair flight and now I’m up the creek with no paddle and have to settle with Airberlin, which I’ve heard has an inferior product.
I kinda want American to give me my miles back. Has anyone else had any trouble with unannounced changes to routes, product, or airlines lately? Hopefully this doesn’t become a trend.
Consider this a reminder to always double- and triple-check your flight bookings!
So now, look forward to my Airberlin business class review soon. Be better good. #grumpy* If you liked this post, consider signing up to receive free blog posts in an RSS reader and you’ll never miss an update! And thanks for using my links to apply for new card offers!
Out and Out has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Out and Out and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
- Chase Ink Business Preferred - Earn 80,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points and 3X bonus points for travel, internet, cable, and phone service
- Capital One Venture Rewards - Earn 100,000 bonus miles and 2X miles on every purchase with no bonus categories to think about
- Amex Blue Business Plus - Earn 10,000 Amex Membership Rewards points and 2X bonus points on up to $50,000 in spending per year with NO annual fee
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.