This site is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CreditCards.com. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. What is written in the article is the editor's opinion.
Had a bit of a scare yesterday. I went to check in for my Airberlin flight TXL-HEL (that was to connect to Finnair HEL-JFK) to end my Eurotrip 2014.
I booked the one way award flight on aa.com and up until I went to check in the day before the flights, it showed up in the “My Trips” section of aa.com.
Trouble in Euroland
When I logged in, it said “No upcoming trips” so I typed in the confirmation number and it found the reso after a few heart palpitations, thank gods. But the flights were wrong.
Instead of Airberlin TXL-HEL and Finnair HEL-JFK, I just saw only an Airberlin flight TXL-JFK. NOOOOO!!!
I pulled up the email from when I booked and made sure I had a ticket number. I did.
Then I typed in the confirmation code into airberlin.com. It errored out a few times. I Googled “Airberlin check in” and no less than four different check in pages came up. One of them found the flights AA was talking about, and I was able to assign myself a seat and got a boarding pass with a different ticket number (!). The confirmation code was also different on airberlin.com – which is normal – but I’d just never seen it before.
A few things:
- I really wanted to take that Finnair flight and try out their business class product for myself, which I heard was good
- I really did NOT want to take Airberlin all the way home
- This was the second time this trip I had an unannounced product change
- American did not notify me via text, email, phone call, or otherwise. I had to untangle all this 24 hours before when I went to check in for the flight
- I arrived at the airport not knowing if I really had a ticket or not. I trust Airberlin about as much as I trust Air France or Alitalia (which is not at all)
Overall, just very very uncool. I redeemed my hard-earned miles for a specific product and for a specific flight. To have it taken away at the last minute with no notice is not something I want to get used to from airlines, and especially American. I really wanted that Finnair flight and now I’m up the creek with no paddle and have to settle with Airberlin, which I’ve heard has an inferior product.
I kinda want American to give me my miles back. Has anyone else had any trouble with unannounced changes to routes, product, or airlines lately? Hopefully this doesn’t become a trend.
Consider this a reminder to always double- and triple-check your flight bookings!
So now, look forward to my Airberlin business class review soon. Be better good. #grumpy
BEST Current Credit Card Deals
- Amex Business Platinum Card - 100,000 Amex Membership Rewards points! - If you spend a lot, you can end up with 125,000 points after meeting the spending requirements.
- Chase Ink Cash - $500 CASH! (50,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points) - Useful 5X for phones and office supplies and NO annual fee! COMPARE HERE.
- Blue Business Plus Amex - 10,000 Amex Membership Rewards points - The BEST card for 2X on everyday spending.
- Discover it® Cashback Match™ Card - $50 after 1st purchase within 3 months of account opening - Earn $600 cashback the 1st year.