This site is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CardRatings.com. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. What is written in the article is the editor's opinion.
- Save (or Earn!) Money at Amazon and More This Holiday Season
- Easily Save Money at Amazon.com With Paribus and Giving Assistant
- Activate Cash Back for Discover It Q4 Bonus Categories (Amazon.com, Clothing & Department Stores)
There’s a lot going on with Amazon right now in terms of deals:
- 10X Chase Ultimate Rewards points (10% cashback with Chase Freedom, if you activated the offer in time)
- 10% cashback with Discover It (5% back now and 5% back after 12th billing cycle for new cardmembers)
- Amazon’s own deals – which are fantastic
The chance to get 10X Chase Ultimate Rewards points (which turn into 10X United Airlines miles, 10X Hyatt points, 10X Southwest points, etc. when paired with the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Ink Plus) is too good to pass up. It’s a big reason why the AMEX Jet.com offer is on hold for me.
If you’ve put off last-minute gifts, this is a *perfect* weekend before Xmas to knock out last-minute shopping with Amazon Prime membership (you could even buy it today and start using it right away if you really wanted to!).
In This Post
Tons of good deals
Amazon is serving up the deals. Case in point:
Within each category are some deeply discounted items.
Some deals that caught my eye:
- 8-person tents for $90
- 55-inch flatscreen for $800
- Kindle Paperwhite for $100
- Tons of digital holiday movies for $5 to $10 (own them forever)
There’s also cooking utensils, clothes, household items, sports gear… really a great selection. If anything, use their guides for ideas.
The gift card angle
Or you can do what I did and buy Amazon gift cards, thus giving yourself a 10% discount front-loaded and you can order whenever you want because the gift cards never expire.
If you max out the $1,500 limit on the Chase Freedom, you’d earn 15,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points, which is enough for:
- 3 Nights at a Category 1 Hyatt hotel
- 1 round-trip short-haul flight under 1,150 miles with British Airways Avios (think New York to Chicago distances)
- One-way flight anywhere in the mainland US, Canada, or Alaska with United Airlines miles
- ~$214+ worth of flights on Southwest
(This is assuming you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Ink Plus. Otherwise, you could cash it out for a check or statement credit.)
I went ahead and bought a $1,000 gift card a couple of weeks ago. And today I’m finishing up my Xmas shopping. What I don’t spend on gifts, I’ll buy in gift cards.
(You could also send Amazon gift cards to peeps as presents, too.)
But, you only have 3 days left to shop to assure the items arrive before the holiday.
Def sign-up for Paribus before you shop
- Link: Paribus
Paribus was made for Amazon shopping around the holidays.
It scans your Amazon account and automatically requests a price adjustment on your behalf – with zero effort on your part.
I bought some gifts on the 17th, and got $3 back on the 18th because of a price drop. It’s not a lot, but it all adds up, especially if you shop at Amazon frequently. And for holiday shopping, I’d call it a must.
They charge 25% of the price difference (so for $3, they’d charge .75 cents – you get $2.25 back + any tax you paid on the item). And you can reduce your fee by referring others.
Definitely, definitely worth signing up for.
Throw Paribus into the mix to get money back when there’s a price drop, and it all adds up very nicely.
The Chase Freedom 10X Chase Ultimate Rewards points deal (if you signed up for it) is just too good to pass up. And worth redeeming ahead of other offers.
Hope you find some good deals and enjoy the time with your loved ones! Happy, happy holidays!* If you liked this post, consider signing up to receive free blog posts in an RSS reader and you’ll never miss an update! And thanks for using my links to apply for new card offers!
Editorial Note: Opinions expressed here are author's alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post. The opinions of the commenters are not necessarily the opinions of this site.
- Chase Ink Business Preferred - Earn 80,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points and 3X bonus points for travel, internet, cable, and phone service
- Chase Sapphire Preferred - Earn 60,000 Chase points with the BEST card for beginners
- Amex Blue Business Plus - Earn 10,000 Amex Membership Rewards points and 2X bonus points on up to $50,000 in spending per year with NO annual fee