Editorial Disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses & recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed or approved by any of these entities.
Spoiler alert. On this list, I find the FIA Fidelity AMEX to be the most valuable. I just love that card so much.
And this post is gonna be focused on Serve.
Note: It is possible to send money between Serve and REDbird, or Serve and Bluebird.
So if you’re managing multiple cards, you can get a Serve card, load it up for $1,000 each month, and send it to Bluebird or REDbird to pay bills that normally don’t accept credit cards. Like student loans, utilities, mortgage payments, or anyone else.
List of AMEX Cards NOT Issued by American Express:
|Bank||Name of Card|
|Bank of America||AAA Rewards American Express|
|Bank of America||Accelerated Rewards American Express|
|Bank of America||Asiana Airlines American Express|
|Bank of Hawaii||American Express Card with MyBankoh Rewards|
|Barclays||Travelocity Rewards American Express (no longer offered)|
|Citibank||Select / AAdvantage American Express (no longer open to new applications)|
|FIA||Fidelity Investment Rewards American Express (no longer offered).
Read my review of this card.
|First National Bank of Omaha||American Express|
|PenFed||Premium Travel Rewards American Express|
|USAA||Cashback Rewards Plus American Express|
|USAA||Cash Rewards American Express|
|US Bank||FlexPerks Travel Rewards American Express|
|Wells Fargo||Propel American Express - Learn more here|
|Store Card||Bloomingdale's American Express|
|Store Card (Issued by Wells Fargo)||Dillard's American Express|
|Store Card||Macy's American Express|
A few reasons why you might want one of these cards
- If it’s no annual fee, to age your credit accounts
- If the card earns 1 point per $1 spent, earn 12,000 extra points each year by loading $1,000 per month to Serve
- If the card earns 2 points per $1 spent (like the FIA Fidelity AMEX), earn 24,000 extra points (worth $240) per year by loading $1,000 per month to Serve
- If the bank also issues mortgages (Bank of America, USAA, US Bank), it might be good to have a pre-existing relationship with them if you think you’ll one day want to finance a house with them
- In the case of US Bank, you can get a free Gold checking account by having a credit card
- The US Bank FlexPerks AMEX has a $49 annual fee, but Serve reload points will more than offset it, and it has some other category bonuses
You will NOT earn bonus points on Serve reloads with cards that ARE issued by American Express. But, you can still use Serve to meet spending thresholds. Like earning Hilton Diamond status at the $40K mark on the Citi Hilton Surpass card.
So if you have an AMEX that offers some sort of spending bonus, you might consider loading up Serve to cross the line.
I don’t recommend using a hard pull to open one of these cards (except maybe the FIA Fidelity AMEX – the BEST cashback card out there right now.)
But if you already have one of these cards, or a have a reason for getting one, loading up Serve is a handy way to earn some free rewards points throughout the year.
Seriously. The underwear factor can NOT be overstated. It takes literally seconds to load up, and you can do it in bed on the Serve app.
You’ll also benefit from standard AMEX purchase protection and benefits, like extended warranty and trip cancellation insurance (but be sure to check exactly what’s offered as coverage levels can vary by card or issuer).
The best AMEX cards do tend to be issued by American Express. But you can still use Serve to meet spend thresholds for earning status, elite stay credits, or the like.
Any cards that I missed? If you have experience with any of these niche cards + Serve, please comment below!
And if you’re in the market for a new travel rewards card (or Serve card), please consider using my links. Thank you!
- Exploring Amex Serve for free money and handy uses after April 16th
- Is the Fidelity Amex the best cashback card in the universe?
Out and Out has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. Out and Out and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
- Track your net worth with Personal Capital. Get a $20 Amazon gift card when you link an investment account
- Start a blog and learn how to monetize it
- Get a travel rewards card to earn points or miles
- Open a SoFi Money account to distribute your funds and get a $75 bonus - it's the best checking account out there right now (here's my review)
The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.