This site is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CreditCards.com. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. What is written in the article is the editor's opinion.
- No Annual Fee Cards + Personal Finance: Why You Need (At Least) One
- Get an Easy $600 with the Discover It Card
- Seriously tempted by the 75,000 point Citi Hilton Visa offer
- Get a Travel Rewards Credit Card
I took my own advice and got 2 new no annual fee cards.
This morning, I assessed my credit card situation and thought about how I could improve my strategy moving forward.
Both of these cards fit into my financial goals in different ways, and I’m excited to start exploring their features!
- Link: Discover It
I wrote about how you can maximize the quarterly 5% categories for an easy $600 with the Discover It card.
That’s exactly what I plan to do.
The card has:
- No annual fee
- No foreign transaction fees
- Free credit score monitoring
- 0% APR on purchases and transfer for 12 months
- Double cashback for new cardmembers
- Access to Discover Deals, the BEST shopping portal right now (RIP WorldPoints Mall)
- And a slew of other cool perks
Discover Deals has 10% cashback at Macy’s, Sear’s, Kmart, and Ace Hardware (but only 5% at my beloved Kohl’s).
If you can stack the 10% shopping portal bonus and 5% categories, you’ll get double cash back… or 30%!
You can combine that with other discounts and promotions, too. So I’m sensing some shopping opportunities in here. Especially considering Amazon.com is a category.
Because the categories will mostly likely repeat themselves next year, I will (hopefully) get to maximize this 3rd quarter (the best, IMO) TWICE.
And I’m curious to see what the “Holiday Shopping & More” will be.
This card is offering free money for shopping I’m planning to do anyway. Definition of a no-brainer.
Citi Hilton Visa
This card usually has a sign-up bonus of 40,000 Hilton points. But until August 31st, it’s been increased to 75,000 Hilton points.
I wrote about how to get over $1,000 in value from the increased sign-up bonus by focusing on Hilton Category 1 and 2 hotels, which is how I plan to use these points.
The minimum spending requirement is $2,000 within the 1st 3 months. (And the clock starts ticking when you’re approved NOT when you receive the card.)
I was instantly approved with a $7K credit line.
I’m low on Hilton points at the moment, and I want to warm up to Citi a little more. They seem to be getting more aggressive with their card offerings, and I like that.
Here’s my plan: shift all spending to the Citi Hilton Visa card EXCEPT for the 5% categories on the Discover It card. Pay down my other credit cards in the meantime, bank the Hilton points, then focus on my FIRE (which I can’t wait to report on next month).
Within a couple of months, I’ll have my credit cards paid off, 75K Hilton points, and hopefully some cashback coming my way.
And I’m looking forward to toying around with the Discover Deals shopping portal.
My further strategy is to dump this little pile of uselessness:
With these 2 new cards, I’m now up to 19.
When the Hyatt Diamond Challenge comes back around, I plan on picking up a Citi Prestige card and completing it in 9 nights.
I was tempted to sign up yesterday, but it didn’t feel like the right time. I would’ve been forcing it. But, it’ll come back and I’ll hop on then.
I still get a rush when I apply for (and get) a new credit card.
And I can keep them both forever at no cost.
This is my first Discover card. We’ll see how it goes. Nothing to lose except an inquiry on my credit report.
Does anyone else have either card? Any benefits I missed, or to keep in mind?
BEST Current Credit Card Deals
- Amex Business Platinum Card - 100,000 Amex Membership Rewards points! - If you spend a lot, you can end up with 125,000 points after meeting the spending requirements.
- Chase Ink Cash - $500 CASH! (50,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points) - Useful 5X for phones and office supplies and NO annual fee! COMPARE HERE.
- Blue Business Plus Amex - 10,000 Amex Membership Rewards points - The BEST card for 2X on everyday spending.
- Discover it® Cashback Match™ Card - $50 after 1st purchase within 3 months of account opening - Earn $600 cashback the 1st year.