On the evening of February 22, 2013, I had a little too much tequila and decided to do an app-o-rama. Not the best idea ever, as I caused myself to miss out on yet ANOTHER Amex bonus by not paying close enough attention to the T&C. I think I was little nervous about applying for three cards in one night.
I would’ve applied for four, but I’m sorta between jobs/projects right now and didn’t want to push it with the minimum spend requirements. Here’s what I ended up getting:
- 50,000 Avios after spending $1,000 within three months
- 25,000 more Avios after spending $10,000 in the first year
- 25,000 MORE Avios after spending $20,000 in the first year
Why I got it:
- No foreign transaction fees
- Smart Chip Technology
- Great earning structure: 2.5 Avios/dollar on BA and 1.25 on everything else. Pretty fantastic.
- Avios are GREAT for short-haul trips under 650 miles – only 4,500 Avios each way in economy. But for short flights of ~2 hours, I couldn’t care less about class of service. This is great for visiting Montreal, Toronto, Boston, and other cities in the near-Northeast region. And it’s only 7,5000 Avios to Chicago (I love Chicago). They’re also great for repositioning for mileage runs (I haven’t done one… yet.) This post from Extra Pack of Peanuts has a lot of great info about the Avios program.
- 50,000 AAdvantage miles after spending $3,000 within four months
- 2 Admirals Club lounge passes
- $150 Statement Credit on American Airlines
Why I got it:
- To build up my AAdvantage balance
- I am thinking of switching the bulk of my flying from Delta to American
- 1 free checked bag, priority boarding, and get 10% of miles redeemed back (up to 10,000 miles per year)
- $85 annual fee is waived for the first year (so why not)
And the sore spot. The American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card
got in didn’t get in on this offer:
50,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $1,000 within three months
Why I wanted it:
To build up my Membership Rewards balance
It has the best earning structure of all the MR cards (three points/dollar on airfare (four if booked thru Amex Travel), two at gas stations (moot point for NYC) and grocery stores (which could encourage me to not spend so much eating out!), and one point everywhere else.
I went ahead and put $1,000 of spend on it the first day JUST TO SEE if it would trigger the bonus or not. I’m not eligible for it because I already have the Platinum Card, but whatever. Anyone know how good Amex is about blocking bonuses for this reason? It’s entirely my fault – I should’ve read the T&C more closely. I blame first app-o-rama jitters and too much tequila.
I also really wanted to pick up the Ink Plus card from Chase while I was at it, but alas. The $5,000 spend within three months was a little bit much. Plus, I’ve got a lot of spending to put on the new British Airways card to unlock the full 100,000 Avios.
So that’s it. My first app-o-rama. I was instantly approved online for all three with nice credit lines on each, which made me feel really confident about my credit health. My travel goals for this round of apps are Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Dublin, Seattle, Alaska, and eventually, Australia. I’d also LOVE to fit in Vienna/Prague sometime this summer. 🙂* If you liked this post, consider signing up to receive free blog posts via email (only 1 per day!) or in an RSS reader and you’ll never miss an update! And thanks for using my links to apply for new card offers!