This site is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CreditCards.com. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. What is written in the article is the editor's opinion.
While poking around the Amex website today, I headed over to the Membership Rewards section and saw something I’ve never seen before. They’ve added a super helpful new feature that shows you an exact breakdown of every points-eligible transaction for each statement period. Chase has had this functionality for a few of their cards for a while, so kudos to Amex for adding this.
Here’s an example of activity from my Premier Rewards Gold account. I paid $7.50 for taxes on my recent award ticket to Seattle for FTU when I burned all my SkyMiles. Airfare earns 3 points per dollar, and sure enough, that earning structure is reflected in this transaction.
It also shows activity for gas, grocery, and other bonus category purchases (depending on the card). Also interesting is that it worked for all of my Amex accounts. I have four at this point: Delta Platinum SkyMiles, the Platinum Card, the EveryDay Preferred, and the PRG (as in the pic above).
To view your activity, click the “Rewards” tab, then “Activity Detail.” Your recent statements will appear with a note that says “See Card Bonus Detail” if you had eligible purchases in that statement period.
While not earth-shattering, this is a nice perk that helps you to track benefits more efficiently. It has also lead me to plan a rewrite for a previous post about a possible hidden benefit of the PRG card.
Curious if this works for ALL of their cards or just some of them. Does anyone else see this new bonus category breakdown when they log into their Amex accounts?
BEST Current Credit Card Deals
- Amex SPG Small Business Card - 35,000 Starwood points - Does NOT count against 5/24! My review of this offer.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve - 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points - My review of this card.
- Discover it® Cashback Match™ Card - $50 after 1st purchase within 3 months of account opening - Why I love this card!
- Hilton Ascend Amex - 100,000 Hilton points - Why I picked up this card.
- Chase Ink Cash - $300 cash back (30,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points) - Excellent 5X bonus categories and NO annual fee. COMPARE HERE.