This site is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CreditCards.com. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. What is written in the article is the editor's opinion.
Yeah! It really happened! It amused me.
My Staples drama has been well-documented. But then, a funny thing happened. I got 5% cash-back rewards from my $500 free after rebate purchase.
Staples gave me $25 to play with – for free!
So what did I do? Bought a $50 e-gift card to Sephora, right on Staples.com. The card came in my email pretty quickly. The cologne I wanted was $55, but this certificate brought that down, right away, to $30. A pretty nice discount.
So about that other $10 off? I clicked through 2 portals: the AAdvantage portal to buy the gift card from Staples, and the Ultimate Rewards portal to buy the cologne from Sephora.
Staples: $50 x 2 points/dollar = 100 points (worth $2)
Sephora: $55 x 8 points/dollar = 440 points (worth $8)
The points posted, and the cologne shipped free. It smelled all the better knowing I’d gotten it for a smooth $20. Can’t beat that with a stick.
Moral of the story: always hop on that free-after-rebate stuff from Staples. It’s the gift that keeps on giving. Pretty awesome stuff.
BEST Current Credit Card Deals
- BRAND NEW Amex Hilton Small Business Card - 100,000 Hilton points - Does NOT count against 5/24!
- Chase Sapphire Reserve - 50,000 Ultimate Rewards points - My review of this card.
- Discover it® Cashback Match™ Card - $50 after 1st purchase within 3 months of account opening - Why I love this card!
- Hilton Ascend Amex - 100,000 Hilton points - Why I picked up this card.
- Chase Ink Cash - $300 cash back (30,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points) - Excellent 5X bonus categories and NO annual fee. COMPARE HERE.